Sunday, January 28, 2007

bouncer at karma

last night i went with joe to his friend yvette''s birthday party in the basement of karma lounge, one of the only bars in new york where smoking is still allowed. because they allow smoking, a security firm is stationed all over the bar making sure everything is tip top re: the fire code.

one security guard was assigned to the downstairs area, where most of yvette's 20 or so friends were doing the limbo. the security guard was sitting on a couch with a funny look on her face, so i went over to chat with her.

Hi, can I interview you?
Sure.

Really? Great! My name's Mike.
Hi Mike.

So, how do you know Yvette [birthday girl]?
Huh?

Um. So you work for a security firm, right? How long have you been doing that?
Well with this firm, a month.

Is this your first time at Karma?
No.

How many times have you been here?
Three weekends....three weekends.....about a month.

Oh, neat. [Gesturing to the limbo] Does this happen very often?
No, never.

Do you think this is white people do all the time?
[Laughs] Man, I would not know.

Would you do the limbo?
I guess. But I'm at work right now. I'd have to be participating in the party.

Any chance you'll participate in this party?
[Chuckles] I don't th....I'm working.

A party at your house might feature the limbo?
Probably not. Well, I guess it could. Maybe. Probably not like this though.

Haha. Not like this? Like what?
Man, you're trying to get me fired.





No comments: